Saturday, February 3, 2007

Queer Musical Interlude: Final Fantasy

I think I short-changed last week's Queer Musical Interlude, so here it is better.

This is Final Fantasy performing Bloc Party's This Modern Love:

The New York Times says:
In Final Fantasy you hear how Mr. Pallett's art is born of contrast, not only between pop and contemporary composition, but between the organic and the electronic, the fantastical and the domestic, the abrasive and the sweet. A perfectionist who adores the rough-hewn, he is at once hopelessly nerdy and improbably cool.

And Owen Pallett on being a gay artist:
As far as whether the music I make is gay or queer, yeah, it comes from the fact that I'm gay, but that doesn't mean I'm making music about it. There does need to be art about sexual identity, but it's not really what I think a lot of successful gay artists focus on. Rufus Wainwright is not a gay artist, for example. Well, that Gay Messiah song is almost like a manifesto. He doesn't want people to be let down because his music's not gay enough, or not political enough. That's an attitude I personally identify with.

Visit his record label's page and his MySpace page.

No comments: